OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF CENTRAL EXCISE
AHMEDABAD - I
BASIC NO. 53/05
Subject : Setting up of Help Centre for Small Scale
Attention of the local SSI Association, industry/ service specific Associations of the area , local chapter of ICAI/ICWA and NGOs concerned with Central Excise, Customs and Service Tax matters in the local area, and all others concerned is invited to the Budget speech of the Hon’ble Finance Minister for the year 2005-06. The relevant portion of which is reproduced below:-
“ As a measure of facilitation, I propose to follow international practice and establish large tax payer units (L.T.Us). To begin with, these units will be set up in major cities. I would like to invite large taxpayer, whether of corporate tax or income tax or excise duties or service tax, to participate in the programme and avail of the single window service. For small taxpayers, I propose to set up Help Centres in co-operation with industry associations, professional bodies and NGOs.”
2. Accordingly, it has been decided to set up one Help Centre in the premises of Gujarat Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Shri Ambica Mills-Gujarat Chamber Building, Ashram Road, Ahmedabad- 380 009. The Help Centre will start functioning with effect from 1st July 2005. To begin with, the following will be the representatives from the Central Excise/ Service Tax Department :
(1) Shri Sanjay Rathi, Joint Commissioner, Central Excise, Ahmedabad-II Commissionerate
(2) Shri Shailesh Kumar, Deputy Commissioner, Central Excise, Ahmedabad-III Commissionerate
(3) Shri Dhirendra Lal, Deputy Commissioner, Service Tax Commissionerate, Ahmedabad
(4) Shri T.A. Rohra, Superintendent, Central Excise, AR-V, Div-III, Ahmedabad-I Commissionerate
(5) Shri S.M. Nair, Superintendent (Tech), Service Tax Commissionerate, Ahmedabad.
Other representatives of the trade and other Government Departments to the Help Centre will be nominated in due course.
3. The representatives of Help Centre will have interaction with the members of trade and industry on the first and sixteenth days of the month. In case these specified days happen to be closed holidays, the interaction will be on the next working day. The interaction will be for two hours between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. The prime objective of the Help Centre is to help the honest tax payer/small assessees/ service providers by providing an institutional mechanism for guiding them in all matters relating to Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax. The Centre will also make them aware of their rights and obligations as also advantages of tax compliance and consequences of non-compliance.
4. It has to be noted that the Help Centre will not be a forum for grievance redressal for which a Public Grievance Committee is already operational in Commissionerates.
5. Those seeking to utilize the services of the Help Centre are requested to submit a written copy of the points raised by them so as to maintain a proper record of the functioning of the Help Centre.
6. In order to make the scheme a success, all concerned are cordially invited to participate in the programme.
Ahmedabad - I
Copy to: As per the mailing list